Mr. Coffee makes some of the top coffee makers available today, and the Mr. Coffee BVMC-KG6-001 Single Serve Coffee Maker is no exception. It was designed to be very user-friendly, and they guarantee a freshly brewed hot mug of coffee, tea, or cocoa. It is powered by the brewing technology of Keurig, and can deliver the beverage in less than one minute. Users get a fresh cup of coffee in a matter of seconds and never again need to drink the burnt-tasting coffee that has been sitting in a heated coffee pot for hours.
Along with good performance, the coffee maker is easy to use and keep clean, which is convenient because it is not dishwasher-safe. The 40-ounce water reservoir is large enough to allow for brewing several cups and is easy to detach and wash. It can also be refilled by pouring water into it while it is still on the unit. Mr. Coffee recommends that filtered or bottled water be used because they contain important minerals that add to the taste of the water. Distilled or reverse osmosis water removes these minerals. If tap water is used, it may eventually clog the machine, but this can be remedied by running vinegar through it every other month.
The coffee maker uses Keurig K-Cups packages of coffee, tea and cocoa. There are 250 gourmet K-Cups from which to choose and the packs can also be customized. For those who want to use their own coffee there is the My K-Cup that is sold separately, but is inexpensive.
There is a choice of a six, eight or 10 ounce cup and the water reservoir will serve six of the six ounce cups before it needs to be refilled. It has a removable drip tray that accommodates larger cups and travel mugs. Since the beverage is served directly into the cup, there is very little mess to clean. The unit automatically turns off after two hours. The first time the machine is turned on, users need to wait for a few minutes for the water to heat, but after that each cup will be brewed more quickly.
• Made from matte black plastic
• Weighs 8.3 pounds
• Easy to use control panel
• Automatic shut off
• Uses Keurig K-Cup packs or My K-Cup filters
• Pre-heats the water
• Full water reservoir makes six cups
• Affordable price
• Power cord stores inside the unit
The control panel has an on/off/brew button and an LED light that indicates the water is being preheated. When the water is hot the preheating light goes off and three lights above the cup size go on, and the cup size can be selected.
Pros and Cons
• Some people may prefer their own brand of coffee, so the My K-Cup is very useful and is a money-saver.
• The 10 ounce cup will have a lighter beverage than the six ounce cup, so users need to experiment with coffee and cup size to get the strength they like.
• The power cord is a bit short. It’s all right for a kitchen counter but may require an extension cord for an office.
• The first cup brewed is fast but it actually takes longer to wait for the second cup than it takes to brew. Brewing time is between 30 to 40 seconds, but the wait time for the next cup is about a minute.
• The unit needs to be set to automatically turn off; otherwise it will indefinitely brew unless turned off. The automatic turn off can be set by pressing the brew size button and the on/off button at the same time for about five seconds.
The Mr. Coffee single cup coffee maker definitely gives value for money. With the My K-Cup, the users own coffee grounds can be used, and it gives freshly brewed coffee in a matter of seconds. It’s the perfect unit for people who enjoy good coffee several times a day, and it’s easy to operate and keep clean. It’s a great unit for an office or bedroom because it doesn’t leave a big mess. With the K-Cups, anyone can brew an excellent cup of gourmet coffee. Five K-Cups are included with each unit purchased.
Back to single cup coffee makers overview